Comics for May 11th, 2008
Reading through the Sunday comics today I was surprised how few comics used Mothers Day as their premise. Holidays seem to "inspire" artists to write related strips every time they roll around. I guess if I had to draw something that was supposed to be funny every day I would take that easy softball idea every now and then too.
Close to Home 5/11/08
John McPherson finally figured out how to get around his major artistic weakness of not being able to draw a difference between a human face and a cow pie with the ingenious smiley face hockey mask idea. Bravo my good man. I expect to see more and more masked protagonists in CtH whenever he's not feeling like working.
Crankshaft 5/11/08
Is it just me or are the Crankshaft getting lazier than usual? The Sunday comics give artists the opportunity to have much more space, color, and creative license. But instead we get one huge panel of cranky old Grampy McCain, then the next largest panel is just the name of the comic, then some other cells continuing the riveting/hilarious chronicle of trying to get an elderly lady to move in with her kids. Happy Mothers Day!
The Family Circus 5/11/08
More evidence here that the Keane Bros. have just given up on trying. I would have bet money on some lame Mothers Day comic of the kids doing something slightly sweet while managing to track shit all over the house, but instead we got no punchline, no joke, and no humor. Even grandmas who love this strip were wondering what the hell Keane & Co. were thinking.
Mutts 5/11/08
Even the squirrels were getting in the Mothers Day mood today. I hope everyone out there had a good Hallmark Holiday, lets hope comics this week are better than last week.
0 comments:
Post a Comment