The Good.....no Sad (at least today)
Greetings. Matt here and what a bizarre day to review the Sunday funnies. As we pause to honor those who suffered and lost loved ones on September 11, it seems silly to even critique a comic. That said, it is interesting that over 100 creators chose to honor September 11 today and, even more interesting, that some did not.
It doesn't bother me, I just it find it curious, for example, that Stephen Pastis didn't find a way to reference it at all in Pearls Before Swine. But is it really his duty to do so just because the other creators did? Jim Davis did nothing in Garfield today to show any remembrance. Neither did Tom Wilson in Ziggy. Or Jef Mallett in Frazz.
As mentioned, personally, it doesn't bother me one bit as it is all about our ability to make personal choices. I can't pretend to be the creators of those comics or pretend to know how they made their decision so it doesn't bother me too much. Heck, LOTS of creators didn't show anything special today. But I have already seen disappointed tweets and Facebook posts to the creators and it's not even 9 AM EDT.
Anyways, as my personal change to all the funnies today, I will only highlight good and show no sad. Did I think all the September 11 tribute funnies were good? No way. But I am not going to point them out today. I'll be back to my snarky ways next week.
Oh, yeah. And Go Browns. I'll be at the game with my daughter this afternoon.
The Good (and no sad today):
Pearls Before Swine
Dang, I love this comic. Not much to say other than I love the second to last panel and rat's conclusion in the last panel. Solid entertainment
Argyle Sweater
Nice image of the fish parent at the door and the two fish watching tv. I love thinking about fish ordering any pizza in the first place.
Zits
IMHO, easily the best of the tribute comics from today. Perfect way to honor but still maintain the tone of the comic. Well played.
See you next week!
0 comments:
Post a Comment