Meta-jokes and Bleeding Butlers
Hello all! Time for some more comics review!
Meta-joke alert! In the punchline, Lennie appears to be commenting on the awkward wordlessness of the final two panels. It is this kind instant self-awareness that makes this otherwise dull strip a bit trippy at times. Also, why is Lennie such a huge asshole?
Birdbrains
Ah, butlers! They always have something quippy and droll to say. Even when bleeding out.
La Cucaracha
I've been enjoying La Cucaracha's "Occupy the Comics Page" featuring Jeffy from Family Circus. I like today's joke, however, I must point out that Family Circus debuted in 1960. Also, Jeffy is only supposed to be three years old. So assuming he aged normally before getting stuck in time the moment the strip first appeared in newspapers, Jeffy would have been a mere one year old in 1958. That's a bit young for an allowance, no?
Love Is
So "what comes naturally" is sitting butt-naked on splintery log while twisting your neck to an impossible degree just to gaze lovingly into your sweetheart's eyes? Sure, why not?
Bob the Squirrel
Wow. That conversation devolved into an argument fast. Tense household. (Side note: this strip manages the near impossible task of drawing a cartoon squirrel in a way that is not cute. However, as a consequence, Bob doesn't look very much like a squirrel either.)
Boomerangs
Speaking of tense, the mom's response to her daughter's legitimate concern of weighing too much for them to be strapped together: "You're right, you're rather fat now."
That's all for today! I think I'll end with the wordless absurdity that is Buni:
1 comments:
Hmm, I sense a meta-joke here...ending on a wordless comic? Touche brother, touche.
Post a Comment